Sona's Blog

Life has become very busy. This space is for me to share my experiences, ramblings and quirkiness with anyone who cares to read them. I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you're someone I used to talk to a lot but have lost touch with. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Debtmericans

I read this article a few days ago about paying for higher education today. Since college costs are so high, there's this trend for more and more parents to shift the financial burden onto their children. Up til now, it was seen as the parents responsibility if possible to take on most of the burden for tuition. It suggests that a couple things could be going on:
1) More kids are encouraging their parents to save that money for retirement so they dont have to worry about them in their old age
2) Americans are just so used to living in debt now that parents don't really see a problem with shifting that burden of tuition to their children.

Interesting, I think. But what does that mean for the majority of these private/out-of-state school tuition paying kids leaving their undergraduate degrees over $160K in debt? I don't know if it means anything at all. But as much as I looooved my college experience, would I have gone to USC with out any financial assistance from the school or my parents if I knew I'd be that much more in debt?

Probably not. You know why? I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH LIVING WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF DEBT. Am i the only one? I know Kim isnt. Anyone else? Anyone.

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debt = fun!! but it is damn expensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home